Jan 27, 2020
Medcare Hospitals & Medical Centres
Provides a wide range of quality professional nursing care functions using the Nursing Process with emphasis on direct patient care and related activities.
- Provides professional nursing care to the patient, receives supervision and direction from the Head Nurse and /or Nurse Manager.
- Work is performed on any shift, as required, in the general and critical care clinical units, operating room, labor and delivery units, emergency rooms and clinics of Medcare Hospital.
- Hours are as assigned and may include on call.
- PRINCIPLE DUTIES:
- Performs a systematic initial and on going assessment of the patient’s physical and psychosocial status, specific to the age of the patient.
- Assesses patient/family educational needs and readiness to learn utilizing appropriate resources.
- Assesses patient/family discharge planning needs utilizing appropriate resources.
- Collaborates with the patient/family and other members of the health care team to develop and update a plan of care that is consistent with the medical diagnosis and based on the patient’s changing physical, psychosocial and age related requirements.
- Establishes realistic and measurable goals that are culturally sensitive, and identifies nursing interventions to achieve the goals.
- Plans and organizes patient care activities on a daily basis.
- Provides total, direct nursing care consistent with the plan of care and needs of the patients with respect for the patient’s privacy, dignity, personal preference and culture.
- Carries out physician’s orders and reviews nursing and medical orders for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Prepares, administers, and documents the administration of oral, parental and topical medications as prescribed by the physician.
- Is knowledgeable of therapeutic effects, usual dosages, contraindications, side effects and adverse reactions for all drugs and parental fluids administered.
- Maintains accountability for narcotics and controlled drugs.
- Intervenes appropriately in clinical emergency situations, initiates emergency resuscitative measures and assists with codes.
- Sets up equipment for and assists physicians with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Performs a wide range of nursing procedures with attention to accuracy, patient safety and comfort, including those requiring strict aseptic technique.
- Assists with transfer of patients within the health care facilities.
- Serves as transport nurse for patients during ambulance or aircraft transport.
- Teaches patients and their families with emphasis on compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimen. Supports families in meeting the patient’s psychosocial needs.
- Maintains a safe, clean and organized environment for the patient/family/visitors and staff.
- Demonstrates priority setting skills and timeliness in responding to patient needs.
- Evaluates quality of nursing care being delivered and identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Evaluates on an ongoing basis the patient’s progress and the appropriateness of the plan of care involving the patient/family and other health team members.
- Updates the plan of care to reflect patient’s current health status and needs.
- Evaluates and documents the patient/family’s understanding of and response to the plan of care including teaching and discharge plans.
- Participates in presenting patient care conferences.
- Professional Expectations:
- Practices within the established standards, policies and procedures.
- Recognizes when patient care needs extend beyond the limits of personal ability and consults appropriate resources.
- Provides input during development and review of patient care standards, policies and procedures and participates in the Interdisciplinary Quality Assessment & Improvement Program.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development and maintains currency in nursing for area of practice.
- Uses computer technology as required.
- Maintains infection control and safety awareness, functions accordingly and initiates corrective action when indicated.
- Participates in fire and disaster drills and mock codes.
- Demonstrates acceptance, caring and empathy to patients and families.
- Maintains the confidentiality of patient/family information.
- Acts as a patient advocate and develops supportive relationships with patient/family maintaining a professional role.
- Uses verbal and nonverbal communication that conveys respect for the patient/family/visitor/staff.
- Communicates verbal information in an accurate concise and timely manner.
- Communicates written information in a legible accurate, concise and timely manner
- Documents in a manner that is consistent with the nursing documentation guidelines.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other members of the
health care team.
- Complies with department dress code.
- Maintains an acceptable standard of attendance and reports to work on time.
- Demonstrates support for Nursing Department Philosophy and Objectives.
Medcare Orthopaedic & Spine Hospital, Medcare Hospital Sharjah
- Two years current experience in Operation Theatre and Recovery Room
- Completion of the corresponding Operation Theatre Technique course